What is EndNote?
EndNote software allows you to create your own personal database of references. Your EndNote library. Your EndNote library stores the references you gather in the course of your research.
You can also use EndNote to:
- Create a reference list or bibliography in a chosen referencing style.
- Add in-text citations to a Word document, in a chosen referencing style.
Installing EndNote on your computer
The EndNote software is available to Bond staff and students. There are two ways to obtain the EndNote software:
- Staff and students can download EndNote to their personal computers by following the instructions
from the Online Service Desk.
- Staff can download the most recent version of EndNote to their work computer from the Company Portal.
*EndNote is installed on all library and MLC computers.
How to use EndNote
Find steps for importing, organising and citing with MS Word within the pages of this Library Guide.
Additional training options include:
- Make an appointment with your Faculty Librarian for tailored assistance.
- Attend EndNote's live training. See their calendar for the next Australian webinar.
- Check EndNote's Online User Guides.
- Watch a range of short videos from the EndNote Video Training page.
Watch the introductory videos below to learn how to use EndNote in just a few minutes.
Journals terms lists
For some referencing styles, such as Bond Vancouver, abbreviating journal names is part of the style.
To enable EndNote to substitute abbreviated journal names you must first set up the Journals Term List. If you work with multiple libraries this needs to be done for each library.
- Go to Library > Open Terms Lists > Journals Term List
- Delete existing journal names by selecting all terms > Delete Term. If there are no existing Journal Terms, move to Step 3.
- Click the tab for Lists > Import List.
- Navigate to the EndNote program files on your computer.
PC: C:\Program Files\EndNote 20\Terms Lists
Mac: Applications > EndNote 20 > Terms Lists
- Select a file with a name that relates to the topics referenced in your EndNote library, e.g. Medicine or BioScience > Open.
- You can also now import other lists to expand the available journal names/abbreviations. For example, you could import the Chemical.txt list from the same location on your computer.